Friday, February 26, 2010

Wicked!

As everyone living around Burlington has noticed, it’s been snowing like crazy the last few days.

Within one night, Burlington has become covered with snow again. When I woke up on Wednesday morning and saw the weather outside, I was hoping for a snow day. Shame that I had class that day, or else I would have gone straight to the mountains.

However, the blowing snow on Wednesday night reminded me of a nocturnal adventure I had with some of my friends last year. We were all from International House on 215 S. Prospect and decided to go sledding with trash can covers, a snowboard and whatever plastic we could find. We ended up on Aiken field at Champlain.

Aiken field has a really nice slope with some good distance. We spent an hour on that slope trying to see who would go furthest and ended up soaked. If anyone else is interested – a snowy night at Aiken field is quite fun.

If playing with snow doesn’t suit your tastes, try some hiking during warmer seasons instead. There are many trails around Burlington that have exceptional views and breathtaking scenery. At the start of my last semester, I went hiking with some of my friends at Mt. Mansfield, just opposite Smuggler’s Notch, which is another Ski Resort. Even for me, someone who rarely hikes, the trail wasn’t too difficult.

In particular, I found one spot on that hike to be my favorite spot. It was kind of a flat and wide field with a gradual slope leading down the mountain. During the winter, it was probably a spot where skiers and riders frequently passed by, as one of my roommates who was familiar with Smuggler’s Notch pointed out. Perhaps it was because of the breadth of the scenery that view offered, but the mountain was literally towering over a town.

No comments:

Post a Comment