Friday, March 19, 2010

China Studies

Spring break always goes by way too quick. Over break, I devoured roughly 4 books and enjoyed the warming Burlington sun. It’s nice to see that everyone’s back also – once spring hits, it just seems that everyone becomes more active. Church street becomes much more busy, and there just seems to be a better vibe in the air.

A few weeks ago, one of my professors handed out a sheet to the class detailing next year’s COR courses. To my surprise, next semester, the COR department is offering a series of courses on China.
As I mentioned before, Champlain is really working hard to promote diversity and a global education. This is evident effort on their part, and I’m very glad that they are making such visible and significant progress.
I am particularly interested in one of the course, which takes a look at Chinese medicine versus Western medicine, and examines the differences. Although I already have an understanding of it, it is always interesting to learn things in a different perspective. I would also encourage students to take this course. My understanding is that Chinese herbal medicine has been misunderstood in America the whole time – and that truly, people don’t understand the merits of Chinese medicine. After all, how many Americans have tried Chinese medicine?

Just so you know, these COR courses are taught by, at least from what I hear, Professors that have traveled to China just for preparation on teaching the courses. It’s a really good effort that the COR division wants to make these courses truly authentic and not simply a course that comes straight out a textbook.
In the spring semester, there will also be COR courses covering the Middle East – although no information regarding the courses has been revealed yet, at least to my eyes. On another note, when a professor asked how many students were studying abroad next semester during one of my classes, I am glad to report that at least a third of the students raised their hands. It’s nice to know that you’re not the only one studying abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment